Friday, April 15, 2011

Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL First Impression


I was expecting a lot out of this and in the end I was pretty disappointed in it. It kinda of reminded me of GX but I'm afraid I don't think this will ever live up to the greatness that was GX (in my eyes anyway).

Things that disappointed me:
  • It seemed so childish compared to it's successors Duel Monsters, GX and 5Ds. Maybe it's because Yuma is 13 compared to Yugi, Judai and Yusei who were 16, 15 and 18 respectively or maybe it was something else.
  • The D-Gazers make me think of the scouter devices in Dragon Ball Z.
  • The character designs are horrific.
  • Preparation for the duel seems very mahou shoujo-esque.
  • Yuma can't duel. I mean I don't mind that he's losing. It makes it more realistic if the main character doesn't win all the time but what kind of duelist lays a trap card face down and TELLS THEIR OPPONENT?!
  • Exceed Summon. I don't get it. I think my brain just stopped at Synchro Summon but that actually made sense.

What I did like:
  • The backgrounds were beautiful.
  • New duelling systems. It's pretty cool how you see the duel in some alternate dimension or something.

As an avid Yu-Gi-Oh! fan, I'm extremely disappointed but I'll keep watching to see where it goes. 6/10 right now.

No comments: