Friday, April 29, 2011

Spring 2011 Anime Rankings




















To begin my April wrap-up, I give you my two cents on the current season of anime. This season was a definite improvement from the last. As with any other forms of media, how you view it is all really a matter of taste. It's virtually impossible to comment on anything subjectively, so here's my take on spring 2011.

1. Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai (AnoHana)
Never have I seen a more touching story in my life. It's quite emotional. I was initially very skeptical about the sort of anime this was going to be and was never planning on watching it at all. The characters are also very easy to relate to. I feel a potential masterpiece in the making here but there's still a long way to go. Have I mentioned long title is long? Well it is.




2. Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
Too cute for words. It's absolutely adorable and I really have nothing to complain about except maybe the fact that the plot is very well disguised. Everyone is comparing it to Shaft's previous production, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, which I found insanely boring in the 2 episodes that I have seen. So far, this show is in many ways superior. I also love the OP. It's so cute.



3. Hanasaku Iroha
It's an absolute work of art. Visually, it's the best so far this season. I'm not all for the melodrama though. It doesn't stand out too well but themes wise, I'm really liking this. Reality is harsh. This series still has a long way to go though and I guess I'd like to see a little more originality but it's a solid #3 so far.




4. Hidan no Aria
Now who doesn't love tsundere lolis with weapons? Seriously though I'm loving this show. It reminds me very much of Shakugan no Shana which is one of my all time favourite light novel/ manga/ anime. So far, it's one of the better ones this season. Excuse the language but SHIT'S GOING DOWN NEXT EP.







5. Moshidora
It's a little dry at times but it's starting to pick up after 3 episodes. I don't really know how it stacks up to other sport anime considering this is the first I've ever seen. It's quite interesting though.

6. Deadman Wonderland
The set up is a bit unbelievable but I'm still interested in the story nonetheless. Even though you kind of know what's going to happen in your mind, you still feel that suspense while watching it and I like that. I even spoiled the story for myself and am still curious to see how it all connects. Well I didn't spoil it per se but I did look up who The Red Man was.

7. A-Channel
It's a little like Lucky Star.... just not as funny. The gags get a little bland at times but all in all it's not a terrible show. Yet.

8. Sekaiichi Hatsukoi
Honestly, I don't mind shounen-ai or yaoi but this makes me cringe a little while watching. The drama, however, is no different than that which you would find in a typical male x female romance so it's not terrible. It's more awkward than dramatic sometimes...

9. Ao no Exorcist
Another disappointment. It was probably over-hyped. It's so predictable but the visuals are definitely a plus. Also, the ending theme is absolutely terrible but I probably dislike k-pop too much.

10. C
The art is weird, it's boring and the male protagonist is a wimp. I'll be ecstatic if the plot gets somewhere. I really will because right now I'm disappointed in something that was so highly anticipated.

11. Steins;Gate
The concept of time and time travel is really the only reason I keep trying to watch this show every week. Frankly though, it's so mind-boggling. Not to mention all those references I don't understand.

12. Dog Days
This show is kind of amusing at the most. It seems very childish. I'm not entirely sure if I'm watching this too superficially. I really don't know if there's anything more.

13. Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi
Your typical harem + shota boy + notions of incest. What am I watching? I feels as if I'm watching Shuffle all over again. I didn't like Shuffle but there are striking similarities character-wise.

14. SKET Dance
I don't know how the title has anything to do with anything in the story. There isn't even really a story. It's a very episodic show and it reminds me of those Saturday morning cartoons with your local team of 'superheroes'. It's really not a fantastic show.

15. Astarotte no Omocha
It's a little twisted to say the least. Visually, it looks very princess-y. It's also currently missing any form of plot development.

16. Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai
It's extremely disjointed. There were way to many characters introduced in the first couple of episodes and I don't remember any of their names. There isn't any sort of plot here either. Biggest disappointment of the century.



1-4: These shows really stack up this season and are something I would encourage others to pick up. This season is a lot better than the previous, that's for sure.

5-6: The good kind. Not fantastic but better than average.

7-13: My average kind of show. I see a lot more of these as I start to watch a lot more and stray away from shows I know I'll like.

14-16: Why am I even watching this? I just want to expand my horizons. Seriously.

1 comment:

S7 said...

This is a little off-topic, but I love you're reviews. Would you be interested in writing for my site?