Sunday, April 17, 2011

Deadman Wonderland First Impression


I was hesitant in picking this up. It wasn't something that appealed to me at the first glance like it did for many others nor have I seen the manga. In the end, I decided I would give it a go because of all the hype it received. Of course keeping in mind the fact that nothing with a lot of hype has ever really impressed me, namely Code Geass, Death Note, Gintama, Clannad, and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Firstly, if you don't like or can't handle graphic violence, just don't watch this. Personally, I find this level of gore pretty disgusting and for me the censoring just made me imagine things that were probably 10 times worse that what it actually was. I find this sort of horror gross and scary but that's the whole point isn't it? Although if you enjoy watching this sort of graphic violence, you're a sadist or you have issues and you really need help.

The premise is pretty sadistic - prisoners who are subject to punishment for the viewer's enjoyment. It's original and interesting though. I'd like to see where it goes. The way the boy ended up in there is pretty unbelievable. What kind of normal person would believe that a 14 year old boy is capable of taking on 29 of his classmates? I don't think anyone would be able to decapitate 29 others unless they were superhuman or something.

For a 12 episode series, I think they should've explained a few more things in the first episode rather than leaving it for the next few. That way they might actually get more story in. I don't know. I was way to curious and felt as if they left me hanging a little too far off the edge so I looked up all the missing details like what the death sentence was and the significance of the collar and candy. This episode earns a 7/10.

No comments: