Monday, April 18, 2011

Kore wa Zombie desu ka?「REVIEW」


This was far from one of the best but it was quite the entertainer and not your typical zombie anime.

Most of the time I felt the story had no direction so after a while I pretty much disregarded the story and just watched the show for fun. Initially, it was about your average high school boy who happens to be a zombie on a quest to discover his killer but after he does find out (in episode 5) the show just loses direction and purpose. It seemed as if the story just ended and they had nothing left to tell. There were a lot of dark, emotional scenes but none without a mood killer or a joke tacked on the end. The show always walked along the border of serious, dark, action anime and a comical romance one. It seemed unsure in which approach it would be taking so I never really knew what to expect. This was really one of the downsides to this show that prevented me from scoring it any higher.

The characters were actually one of the things I really liked about this anime. They were really original in not just who they were but what they were. Take Seraphim for example, she's not just a ninja but she's a vampire ninja. Also with the 'masou shoujo' which is a play on your typical mahou shoujo, meaning magical equipment girl rather than just magical girl. They're really just not the typical characters you'd find in a harem. If you don't believe me, just look at Ayumu. He's a zombie. As a harem lead, he's not a complete failure. He does have his redeeming qualities. I mean he is your average teenager but when thrown into some ridiculous situation he demonstrates some pretty cool badassery.

While I really liked the characters, the art was by far my favourite part of the show. Artwork is generally what grabs my interest in an anime. It's always the first thing I look at even before what the show is called. In this case, it was at times the only thing that kept my interest. I loved the character designs, the soft lighting and the backgrounds. It was also great not to see any extremely exaggerated sizes in body parts which is rare in the ecchi genre these days. The way the violence was drawn, for example slicing a body in half, was more funny than gruesome and I'm the type to cringe at graphic violence. It wasn't so extreme in this case which was a real plus for me.

A further plus for this show would be the soundtrack. I can't really comment on voice acting because to be quite honest, I can't really tell if it's good or bad. The soundtrack on the other hand is a completely different story. It was done by some composer I'd never heard of but it went so perfectly with all the scenes conveying the emotion so well especially during action, suspense and melancholic scenes. My favourite song from the soundtrack is below.




Overall, I'd recommend this if you like light comedy and want to watch something purely for enjoyment. If you're looking for something a little deeper, unfortunately you won't find it here. If a well defined plot is essential for you then this probably isn't your cup of tea either. Plot aside, I found it a thoroughly enjoyable series although a little disappointed with the mood killers and the plot that wasn't really there so in overall quality I'd rate this a 7/10.

No comments: