Tuesday, December 27, 2011

D-5: The Best Anime of 2011「GENRE」

Part 2 of the countdown to 2011 with the best anime of 2011 in each genre. Keep in mind that this was my HSC year so I am limited to the series that I was able to watch, which you can see here. I am excluding series that are running into 2012.

Action - Fate/Zero

Fate/Zero has truly moved into a class of it's own in all aspects of the anime. Ufotable seems to have left Studio DEEN's adaptation of Fate/stay-night in the dust with their adaptation of Fate/Zero. While the action sequences are great, Fate/Zero is also much more than simply flashy fight scenes with magical powers. It is a combination of good story telling, interesting characters, beautiful animation and an amazing soundtrack by Yuki Kajiura (who did Tsubasa Chronicles, one of my favourite soundtracks). Altogether, Fate/Zero is a real quality production that I won't be forgetting any time soon.

Other notable series: Roberta's Blood Trail (even though it's an OVA because if I had to pick a series that had truly ended, then I'd probably have a hard time choosing one that was really above the rest)

Comedy - Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko

While it's not purely comedy driven, Denpa Onna is still the best anime that falls under this category in my opinion. The first three episodes were a lot more than I expected and could've functioned alone as a separate series. I know quite a few people didn't enjoy it after it reverted to a standard slice-of-life kind of story but I surprisingly still found it extremely enjoyable. That probably had something to do with the amazing artwork and the interesting mix of characters that never failed to amuse me.

Other notable series: Baka to Test: Shoukanjuu Ni, Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukanai

Drama - Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai

I was never meant to pick this series up during the spring season this year, so it ended up being the reason I was watching a lot more than I could handle. Surprisingly, AnoHana turned out to be a lot more than I expected, becoming on of my favourite series of the year, and of all-time so far. I'm not exaggerating at all when I say this series made me cry in every single episode. What can I say? I'm a sucker for sad dramas. I really, really loved the way this story was told.

Other notable series: Hanasaku Iroha

Mystery - GOSICK

Detective stories are never out of style but the difficult thing is making it interesting. I really liked the some of the cases they had to offer. While the story was fairly linear and somewhat episodic initially, I liked the darker turn it took at the mid-way point. The main characters were fairly standard with the odd detective and the sidekick, or the loli tsundere and the male lead that was made to show character development. The supporting characters really made up for that though. While everything seems standard in hindsight, it wasn't something I consciously thought about while watching. GOSICK was definitely a really good series that I enjoyed this year.

Other notable series: Un-Go

Slife-of-Life - Usagi Drop

Usagi Drop really could be a page out of the book of someone's life. It doesn't romanticise or exaggerate what would happen if a young girl were to suddenly become a part of a middle-aged man's life and what they would both have to go through. It's not overly dramatised and it is the kind of story that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I wasn't too keen on the series initially when it was recommended to me by a friend but I couldn't help but fall in love with all the characters. There is a real charm about the series that is really rare in anime nowadays.

I'm a little disappointed that I couldn't put anything under romance or sci-fi, especially since romance is one of my favourite genres, but there was really nothing that I could specifically put under each genre as a major focal point.

No comments: