Monday, May 9, 2011

GOSICK: The Two-Thirds Edition

So zak4994 commented on my previous post and asked what I thought of GOSICK so far, and I thought this would be the perfect time to do a post on it. Why now you ask? Because two-thirds is better than a half. Besides, a nice arc just finished. Beware of potential spoilers.

Overall, what I love about this is the elegant style. A 20th century European setting is perfect for a mystery and really adds to the whole feel of it. (Does anybody else love Victorique's absolutely gorgeous period dresses?) It reminds me a little of Sherlock Holmes. I also really like the way the story doesn't solely focus on the mysteries but also focuses on the development of the characters' relationships.

Characters
I absolutely adore Victorique. She's too cute for words. Her back-story is really interesting and at this stage, seems to be the driving point of the story. I also really like the development of the relationship between her and KujoAvril just seems irrelevant except for her own arc in the story. Grevil is an interesting one. It's as if he's torn between doing what his father wants and doing what he wants. I'm curious as to what the role of Brian Roscoe is, and Corderlia's relationship with him. Victorique's father, Albert, seems to have some sort of major role in this.

Forehead flicks do hurt. I know from experience.
Plot

I think initially, we don't really realise the point of all the mysteries. They didn't connect, and it was just one case after another. As soon as one finished, another one would start in the next episode. I've read a lot of comments and things about the mysteries, and a lot of people seem to be saying that the they're too simple. They really aren't that simple. If you watch this series while sitting there straining your mental ability to figure it out, you're just lessening the enjoyment for yourself. Just sit back and enjoy it. Seriously.

Now maybe I'm reading too much into this, but consider this. GOSICK is set in 1924 between World War I and World War II. Albert, Victorique's father, asked Leviathan to created an army of homunculi. An army of artificial soldiers to fight in the war. I'm guessing here that this is World War I. Now, before Leviathan died, he suggested that if Albert wanted to have power, he would have to have a daughter of unexplainable power. Enter Victorique. Although the biggest mysery right now might be the origin of the Gray Wolves. With that aside, the story of GOSICK seems to be an alternative path of history, rather than an isolated story. It's a take on 'what would happen if there was another country involved in WWII?'

Raspberry face.

After the Leviathan arc, the story has become considerably darker. I've started to view in a different light I guess. It's not simply just my mindless Saturday morning fun any more. It's like having a sudden epiphany that made it all seem worthwhile. I really was starting to wonder where the series was heading. That doesn't  mean I wasn't enjoying it. I really love this series. It is by no means a perfect 10 but it is definitely one of my favourites. I could probably watch it over and over again, just for the fun of it.

Future?
In terms of what's going to happen, I'm just as curious as the next person. However, I'm not usually one for trying to guess what is going to happen in the next episode or even at the end. It just lessens the impact if you turn out to be right. I prefer to take it as it comes. I'd like to find out the history of the Gray Wolves besides the fact they possess some sort of supernatural power. I don't ever want to see Victorique and Kujo separated. The thought of it pains me.



So there you have my thoughts so far. For now, I'll leave you with some adorableness.

1 comment:

zak4994 said...

The increased inclusion of Brian Roscoe is already a subtle yet very apparent hint that the following episodes will be more personal.

It will no longer be scenarios that randomly occur; it will be scenarios that are based around them (Victorique and Kujo) and the ever more intruiging Brian Roscoe and such.

Keep the blog up and thanks for the reply!

Oh and don't be surprised if you receive comments from me on every blog post from now on. :P